Confirmation is coming through that South Africa’s ports and railways parastatal, Transnet, has managed to restore operations following last Thursday’s cyberattack that breached digital security systems at the state-owned logistics company, resulting in its Navis system shutting down.
Earlier this morning Gavin Kelly, CEO of the Road Freight Association, said that systems had come online again at 1am this morning.
Mike Walwyn, a director at the South African Association of Freight Forwarders, said though that “it seems to be true of Durban”.
He added that there were still some hassles with the electronic data interchange (EDI) links.
He also said that Cape Town might also be restored, “but I don’t think there is much action at Port Elizabeth (Gqeberha) or Ngqura yet”.
Transnet has also confirmed this.
In a statement it said “we are extremely delighted to inform you that the Navis customer links are now fully operational in all container terminals as of tonight, 27 July. Customers can now log in to pre-advise their containers.”
It added that the other customer-facing function, EDI, “is not operational, however, mitigation plans are in place for business continuity.
“In addition, the ICT team will continue to finalise elements of the operational functions (Camco, radio network, SPARCS, dispatcher etc) in the Ngqura, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town Container Terminals. Further terminal updates will be provided as full functionality is restored.”
It informed the freight industry that although user credentials for Navis remained the same, there were new customer links to use: http://220.127.116.11.9080/apex/cap.zul and http://18.104.22.168:9080/apex/apex.jnlp
“In addition, the interim business continuity plan communicated today for Pier 1 and 2 (Port of Durban) will be suspended with immediate effect,” Transnet said.
“All transactions that have been captured on behalf of customers will remain on the system. Customers can start transacting on Navis immediately. We are cognisant that transporters are currently in the terminals.
“These transporters will be serviced until the traffic has been cleared.
“From 6am tomorrow, 28 July, all stakeholders are expected to fully utilise the Navis system (the only exception being Ngqura and Port Elizabeth Container Terminals who will communicate the transition to the Navis system shortly).
“The export stack dates and import storage will be communicated by the terminals in due course from tomorrow morning. Berth plans will be communicated daily from tomorrow afternoon.”
A message from Walwyn that emails at the parastatal are still down has also been confirmed.
“Terminals will continue to communicate via text/WhatsApp messages and communicated interim email addresses until further notice,” Transnet said.
Transnet Port Terminals added that all storage charges had ceased with effect from July 22, and it would continue granting these extensions on a 24-hour notice basis.