Salvage momentum picks up for stricken MSC vessel

Tender bids for the removal of the MSC Baltic III have been received by the vessel’s insurer as winter storms continue to hammer the grounded containership off the Canadian coastline.

The vessel, which was carrying 471 containers and approximately 1 700 tonnes of fuel, grounded in Cedar Cove near Lark Harbour, Newfoundland, on February 15 last year. The Royal Canadian Air Force evacuated the vessel’s 20 crew safety via helicopter.

Initial response efforts, led by salvor T&T Marine Salvage under MSC's insurance provider ABL Group, prioritised pollution mitigation, cargo and fuel removal. So far, around 1 665.7 cubic metres of heavy oil and other pollutants have been removed, with most of the fuel offloaded, leaving only residual amounts in various tanks. 

Some 409 containers have been offloaded, leaving 65 submerged below deck, many containing spoiled cargo, presenting additional challenges such as hydrogen sulphide gas.

The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG), which is is overseeing the operation, said under Canadian law, MSC bore responsibility for removal of the wreck. 

Bidding for the removal phase closed in late January 2026, with proposals under review by ABL Group. A contract award is anticipated in the coming weeks, although operations are unlikely to commence until Northern hemisphere spring due to extreme winter conditions. 

Recent assessments by the CCG and salvage teams indicate that the wreck cannot be refloated intact. A rock pinnacle is penetrating the engine room, with severe structural compromise making whole-vessel refloating exceptionally unlikely.

The CCG said in January that winter storms had exacerbated the damage to the vessel, including increased buckling in some hull plating, further stern settling, and the presence of a small list. 

It said crews had boarded the vessel and found the hull had sustained “significant additional damage, including a noticeable change in the condition of the steel plate buckling on the starboard and port sides of the vessel. The stern portion of the vessel is also visibly lower in the water". The update reported heavy ice on the vessel.

The CCG said a dive survey had been conducted on February 5 to better assess damage to the hull and to check for pollution. 

“There appears to be no new damage or pollution. Winter weather and heavy ice conditions onboard the MSC Baltic III continues to limit operations and access to the vessel,” the CCG said.

Ongoing icy conditions are expected throughout winter, with the Coast Guard continuing to monitor the vessel and surrounding shorelines for pollution as weather permits.

No major pollution has occurred, although minor tar balls and oiled debris appeared ashore after storms.