On 17 March the South African Revenue Service (SARS) informed stakeholders of the release of its “External Guide - Book an Appointment at a SARS Branch”.
The purpose of this document is to assist registered taxpayers, representatives and tax practitioners to book a virtual appointment with SARS. This Guide, in its design, development, implementation and review phases, is guided and underpinned by the SARS strategic objectives, the SARS Intent, and the SARS values, code of conduct and applicable legislation. Should any aspect of this guide be in conflict with the applicable legislation the legislation will take precedence.
According to the ‘Introduction’:
- The SARS Branch eBooking system enables you to request a video or telephonic engagement with SARS if you require our assistance. This is part of our drive to improve our service to you.
- If you choose a telephonic engagement, a SARS official will call you on the date and time that you choose on the booking form.
- If you choose a video engagement, a SARS official will email a link to you to join a video meeting on the date and time that you choose on the booking form. Please Note: Microsoft Teams is the preferred video conferencing tool used by SARS.
- The eBooking system excludes appointments to visit a branch office and engage with a SARS consultant in person. This is intended to support social distancing and to reduce the number of walk-ins at SARS branches
- Branch visits will be allowed in exceptional circumstances.
- Each request will be evaluated and the appointment for a branch visit will be booked internally at the discretion of a SARS official.
The Guide is accessible at:
Story by: Riaan de Lange