On 23 April 2021, the South African Revenue Service (SARS) announced the second phase of the systems enhancements to the Registration, Licensing and Accreditation (RLA) system had been implemented whereby the following categories of Customs clients can now also apply for registration or licensing electronically via eFiling:
- Approved exporters;
- Customs warehouses (excluding CCA Enterprise storage warehouses);
- Manufacturers in terms of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA);
- Producers in terms of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) – Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA), SADC, Southern African Customs Union (SACU) / European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA), Southern African Customs Union (SACU) - MERCOSUR and Generalised System of Preferences (GSP) Norway, Russia and Turkey;
- Reporters (e.g., transit shed operators, container operators, wharf operators, depot operators, sea cargo carriers, railway and airway authorities);
- Searchers searching for abandoned wrecks; and
- Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Operators.
The SARS’ External Policy SC-CF-19 – Registration Licensing and Designation has been updated.
The RLA systems enhancements are available on request.
Story by: Riaan de Lange